Tuesday 3 November 2015

The Parents

I thought I would add a little bit about the parents of these babies and a little bit about how I raised them. This is the mother of the baby goldfish I showed in the May 2015 spawning. This is quite an old photo from 2011. She has grown quite a lot since then.
I chose to spawn the blue calico female with a red calico male. Sadly I do not have a picture of him yet. I placed both her and him in a separate section of the pond with plants for her to lay her eggs on.

Here is a picture of a spawning I did in 2011 with two other fantails. They produced lovely babies (below is a picture of one). It was an even split of red and white and red calico fantail goldfish. 
The red calico is the female and the red and white fantail is the male. This was only a temporary 60 gallon container I made for them to spawn in.

Here is one of their babies in the bigger pond at around 4 months using an underwater camera.

In the recent spawning, I sectioned off a part of the pond for the two goldfish. I only collected some of the eggs as I did not want a lot of baby fantails. I raised the young in a nursery pond of 60 gallons and fed them dried brine shrimp. I had an air stone and I did frequent water changes. At one month, I kept 9 babies in the 60 gallon nursery pond and put the other babies with single tails or deformities back in the big pond with the other goldfish. 

Here is a picture of one of the babies at 3 weeks. Already I can see some colour change.

Here is a picture of two of the babies at almost 2 months. They are just starting to get their colours. 

At around 3 months, the fantail babies were big enough to enter the big pond with the parents, although I moved all the comet and common goldfish out of the pond to eliminate aggression towards the young fantail goldfish.

So far, the babies are doing great and I hope they will do well over the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment